Sunday, May 10, 2009

Cracked Wheat-Honey Bread

I've been making Deborah Madison breads from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone quite a bit recently.  Primarily, I've been using the classic white sandwich bread or mixing that w/ some spelt flour.  I've been sticking w/ this great recipe mainly because it's so easy.  

A while back I did try Madison's Cracked Wheat-Honey Bread.  I'm not going to reprint the entire recipe this time.  The recipe was quite similar to the classic sandwich bread, it just had slightly longer rise times.  

Madison suggests adding 1 cup of either cracked wheat or bulgar.  I used bulgar and thought the texture was fantastic.  I also chose to use molasses given Madison's suggestions of either that or honey.  

All of the Madison breads I've tried so far make great sandwich bread, but even better toast.  I'm a huge fan of breakfast--the cracked wheat-honey was delicious toasted w/a  little butter and honey.  

All of the recipes I've tried so far make two 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch loaves.  Works great for giving one away (always a nice option), or I've also enjoyed slicing and freezing.  I find that if I slice before freezing, it's so easy to pull out however many needed slices and just leave on the counter for about an hour to thaw.  Not as good as fresh, but still very delicious.  Again, the frozen slices make great toast.

No comments: