Sunday, May 10, 2009

Strawberry Pistachio Tart

Learning from mistakes....I should have done what Ina Garten suggested and stuck w/ the small 4 1/2 inch tart pans.  I decided I could make into a large 9 inch tart.  Maybe if I had done a little better w/ the pastry cream, it would have worked.  I had never ever made a pastry cream before - not the easiest, but it was delicious.  The tart would have held together much better in small rounds.  It was difficult to slice in this larger size.  

My husband and I had just returned from visiting my folks a few weekends ago in Travelers Rest (I'm behind on my blogging--I made this tart as soon as we returned - about 3 weeks ago).  My mom took us to the Cider House and we ended up bringing home a flat of "Sweet Charlies" grown not far up the road at Strawberry Hill, USA.  I was determined to make a strawberry tart.  I settled on Ina's recipe because I already had most of the ingredients.

The tart was delicious.  I loved the pistachios mixed in w/ the beautiful strawberries.  The sweet apricot jam made the plump strawberries glisten so beautifully.

The next day, I mixed some of the pastry cream w/ Grand Marnier and served spooned over more of the fresh strawberries.  This was almost more delicious than the tart.  I should know better than to stray too far from such a recipe.  Ina's pastry dough was very easy and I look forward to using again sometime soon.

No comments: