Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Amy's Bread in NYC



Just had breakfast from Amy's Bread in NYC.  I'm tagging along on my husband's work trip.  After a great dinner w/ an old friend last night, we walked around the neighborhood where we're staying in Hell's Kitchen.  We stumbled on a bakery that was still open -- I thought that if the breads looked that good around 10pm in the evening, I bet they would be pretty awesome in the morning.  I returned first thing this am.  There was a nice selection.  Pictured above is my favorite so far: Almond Brioche Toast!!  YUM!

Along with the toast, I ordered a cheese biscuit and a chocolate sour dough twist.  The biscuit is rustic and dense--not my ideal biscuit, but still yummy.  It just wasn't quite the southern, flakey biscuit I'm accustomed to.  The chocolate sour dough twist was neat--really good, chewey, tangy sour dough with high quality dark chocolate scattered throughout the dough.

The almond brioche toast has a very thin layer of sweet almond paste.  It's not too much, I can still enjoy the rich texture of the spongy, buttery, thick slice of brioche.  It reminds me of an almond croissant I had at a French cafe once.  I think I like the brioche better.  It has such great textural variety.  

Anyway...enough of my rambling...Amy's Bread has three locations:  Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea Market, and The Village.  Apparently Hell's Kitchen is the original location.  I saw the new cookbook on display in the store:  The Sweeter Side of Amy's Bread.  Think I may have to try it out.

1 comment:

pen* said...

sounds delectable.