Friday, December 5, 2008

Yeasted Sugar Cake

This is another Deborah Madison recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

Madison suggested cooking in a 9" cake pan or tart pan.  I used the tart pan...I thought it did fine.  The cake was delicious.  The only thing I would have done differently is spreading the butter on before sprinkling w/ sugar and baking.  I think I'll melt the butter next time and brush on.  Spreading softened butter over unbaked dough is a rather clumsy task. 

Deborah Madison had all kinds of wonderful serving options...none of which I had time for.  Just after baking, it was fine by itself.  The next day it really did need something.  

My husband poured maple syrup on it.  Not my speed.  

I made an "apricot orange sauce" - Melted a bit of apricot jam in the microwave, then poured a swig of Grand Marnier and mixed w/ a dab of butter.  I served slices of the cake drizzled w/ the sauce for dessert this evening.  My husband and I were both pleased.  

No comments: