Saturday, December 13, 2008

Quinoa Currant Muffins





I recently checked out the cookbook Veganomicon.  Giving vegan baking a go once again.  I thought this sounded like a healthy way to start the day.

The recipe called for either apricots or currants.  I used currants because that's what I had in the house.  The muffins probably would have been better w/ apricots.  I did love the texture of the quinoa in the muffins.  

On another note, I noticed that the ingredients list in the book left out the amount of baking soda.  I just eyeballed a little bit.  I'd say I used a couple of pinches.  maybe 3.  They rose fine and the texture seems fine.  

Here's the recipe.  

1 c. vanilla soy milk
1 tbsp. ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup agave nectar or pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups AP flour
1/4 cup almond meal or almond flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa
1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots or currants

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease nonstick 12-cup muffin tin.  In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the soy milk and ground flaxseed.  Allow to sit for 1 minute, then whisk in oil, agave nectar and vanilla.
In a separate large bowl, sift together flour, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until just incorporated.  Gentl fold in the cooked quinoa and the apricots and mix until only the large lumps are gone.
Pour into the prepared muffin tin and bake for 20 to 22 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.  

No comments: